Paperitalo's Steve Roush, left, and Jim Thompson are shown with Miami University Paper Science and Engineering Student Ameera Salah, right, and her mother, Bahia Salah. Ameera is the recipient of the Paperitalo Publications Scholarship at Miami.
By Steve Roush, VP, Publisher and Editor, Paperitalo Publications
OXFORD, Ohio -- A large contingent of papermakers, industry professionals, alumni, family and friends descended on the campus of Miami University in Oxford, Ohio this month for the Paper Science and Engineering Foundation's 58th Annual Meeting and Student Recognition Banquet.
After a day filled with meetings and foundation updates, Miami University Paper Science and Engineering students were recognized during the banquet -- including eight Bob and Barbara Williams Leadership Scholarship Recipients. The Williams full-tuition scholarships are extremely competitive, and recipients are selected by committee; applicants must be pursuing a minor in Paper Science at Miami. The scholarships are made possible through the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. Robert C. Williams. Mr. Williams, who passed away in 2016 at the age of 86, led an exemplary career, most notably as co-founder of the James River Corporation.
This year's Williams scholars are Catherine Fitzgerald Andres, Daniel Knettel, Olivia Koury, Jack Parrish, Madison Ryan, Isabelle Tessier, Jessica Via and Caleb Wright.
Ryan, a junior, told those at the banquet about being a Williams scholar and her experiences at Miami University.
"When applying to colleges, I knew I was interested in chemical engineering, but Miami could offer me something unique: Paper Science," she said. "Paper can be seen everywhere, whether it's walking down the aisle in a grocery store, a delivery at your door, or the resumes you receive at career fairs. The paper industry is a fascinating industry that continues to grow and provide opportunities for young engineers."
Jonathan Painter, President and CEO of Kadant Inc., gave the night's keynote address, telling the students and those in attendance that when looking at career choices, it's important to look at five factors, which are: Does it provide a good living? Is the industry sustainable? Is it intellectually interesting? Is there a possibility of career advancement? And he said the most important factor in his mind is, does it impact the word and make it a better place?
Painter said the pulp and paper industry meets each of these criteria and that the industry is thriving in many areas and does, indeed, "make the world we live in a better place."
* We are looking for a Production Shift Team Leader to maintain high standards, plus ensure safety policies and regulations for a company located close to Chicago's Midway Airport. If you are experienced team leader who has a four-year degree in an engineering/technical field (paper science degree preferred, and experience in recycled linerboard or corrugating medium paper mills is a plus), we are looking for someone like you! If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company in Illinois is looking for an experienced Maintenance Technician to maintain production and quality by ensuring operation of machinery and mechanical equipment. Relocation and other perks are available to the right candidate who is committed to working third shift. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Are you an experienced Maintenance Mechanic and would like to work for a family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company that invests in the best equipment and technology? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A leading company in the corrugated solutions packaging business is looking for a experienced Electrician. The right candidate will possess the following skills: electrical; hydraulic; automatic drives (basic component machines 122 to 440 bolts). If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for a Corporate Industrial Electro-Mechanical Engineer near Allentown, PA. Relocation is available. Do you have a storied list of unique electrical and mechanical engineering skills you're ready to take to the next level? Do you envision yourself in a corporate-level leadership role that your experience finally merits? And do you relish any opportunity to troubleshoot and solve real-time problems, all while designing and installing new services and systems that will not only ensure safety, but also turn a potentially hazardous work environment into a continuously thriving one? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for hands-on Electro Mechanical Maintenance Techs in Conyers, Georgia. Preference will be given to candidates with higher education and additional certificates or training. You must be able to work any shift. Pay is negotiable with excellent perks and benefits. Relocation assistance is available to the right candidate. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* We are a large automation company that has a line of consistency transmitters, sample valves and sheet break detectors that are marketed through a rep. network. We are seeking someone with a strong background in consistency control to facilitate start-ups, provide troubleshooting and technical advice. The individual should have experience in all major types of consistency measurement technologies (blade, rotary, microwave and optical). Knowledge of sheet break detection technology is desirable as well. Willingness to travel to paper production facilities across the US is a must. Travel & Living Expenses to be reimbursed along with an agreed upon daily per diem rate. For more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
Jim Thompson is back again...with a new book on a taboo subject: the personalities in the pulp & paper industry. Jim has written in the past on many subjects based on his four plus decades in the worldwide pulp and paper industry. This new book is packed full of information valuable to the senior member of the industry as well as the recent entrant. A must for every pulp and paper library.