AUSTRALIA (From news reports) -- One man has died and two more remain in a critical condition after being exposed to toxic gas at a paper mill in southern NSW.
Emergency services were called to the Norske Skog site at Ettamogah, near Albury, about 1.30pm Thursday, where they found multiple people unconscious and in the midst of a cardiac arrest after being exposed to "fumes".
"We've had one pass away - deceased, two remain in a critical condition," a spokeswoman for Albury Wodonga Health said. "The 12 that came in with minor injuries are all stable and will be discharged tonight."
NSW Ambulance said they sent "multiple paramedic units" to the incident, which involved evacuating more than 150 people.
"We were responding to reports a number of workers had been overcome by fumes," a spokeswoman said.
"As a result of that job, we transported four men to Albury Base Hospital, three of those in a critical condition."
She said two of the men were in cardiac arrest at the scene and a third was unconscious. A fourth man was conscious and breathing, and was taken to hospital for assessment.
A spokeswoman for NSW Police Force confirmed "a number of people" were taken to hospital.
The Norske Skog Albury plant produces around 274,000 tonnes of newsprint each year. News Corp, publisher of The Australian, is one of its customers.
SafeWork NSW confirmed it had been notified about the incident and had started an investigation.
In a statement, a spokesman for Norske Skog said an employee had died after a gas leak.
"The mill's Emergency Response Team and emergency services attended the scene immediately after the incident occurred and assisted all workers," the statement said. "Tragically, one employee did not regain consciousness. Two workers remain in hospital.
"The Albury Mill has been evacuated and emergency services are in control of the site. SafeWork NSW has been on site today and will be investigating the incident. Norske Skog is fully cooperating with all investigations."
General manager Milo Foster said in the statement he extended his and the company's deepest sympathies to the employee's family.
"Our first concern is to our employees, their families and everyone affected by this tragic accident," he said. "We will provide support to those affected and work with authorities to investigate what happened."
* We are looking for a Production Shift Team Leader to maintain high standards, plus ensure safety policies and regulations for a company located close to Chicago's Midway Airport. If you are experienced team leader who has a four-year degree in an engineering/technical field (paper science degree preferred, and experience in recycled linerboard or corrugating medium paper mills is a plus), we are looking for someone like you! If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company in Illinois is looking for an experienced Maintenance Technician to maintain production and quality by ensuring operation of machinery and mechanical equipment. Relocation and other perks are available to the right candidate who is committed to working third shift. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Are you an experienced Maintenance Mechanic and would like to work for a family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company that invests in the best equipment and technology? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A leading company in the corrugated solutions packaging business is looking for a experienced Electrician. The right candidate will possess the following skills: electrical; hydraulic; automatic drives (basic component machines 122 to 440 volts). If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for a Corporate Industrial Electro-Mechanical Engineer near Allentown, PA. Relocation is available. Do you have a storied list of unique electrical and mechanical engineering skills you're ready to take to the next level? Do you envision yourself in a corporate-level leadership role that your experience finally merits? And do you relish any opportunity to troubleshoot and solve real-time problems, all while designing and installing new services and systems that will not only ensure safety, but also turn a potentially hazardous work environment into a continuously thriving one? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for hands-on Electro Mechanical Maintenance Techs in Conyers, Georgia. Preference will be given to candidates with higher education and additional certificates or training. You must be able to work any shift. Pay is negotiable with excellent perks and benefits. Relocation assistance is available to the right candidate. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Working as a Consultant? Looking for some additional challenges with a flexible scheduling? Have a background in Consistency Control? This may be just the opportunity you are looking for: A large multi-national automation company seeks an expert in paper mill consistency technology. This individual will facilitate application support and start-ups in the paper mill environment. In addition, the ability to provide troubleshooting and technical advice and support is strongly desired. The individual should have an understanding of rotary, blade, microwave and optical consistency and the application of these devices in the paper mill. The company sells and maintains a line of consistency transmitters, sample valves and sheet break detectors. These products are marketed in the US through a rep. network. Knowledge of sheet break detection technology is also desirable. Individual must be willing to travel to paper production facilities across the US. Travel & Living Expenses to be reimbursed along with an agreed upon daily per diem rate. For more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
Jim Thompson is back again...with a new book on a taboo subject: the personalities in the pulp & paper industry. Jim has written in the past on many subjects based on his four plus decades in the worldwide pulp and paper industry. This new book is packed full of information valuable to the senior member of the industry as well as the recent entrant. A must for every pulp and paper library.